We Can Work It Out
Tuesday, July 26, 2005
  Assessment Centres Assessment Centres

As I am preparing my materials for an assessment centre tomorrow - I'm wondering what preparation the candidates might be doing. I hope that they'll have an early night, won't drink too much tonight and be relaxed and motivated to do their best.
If any of them have special needs, I hope that they'll let me know in good time. I bet most of them bring their own calculators - and the exercises I am using mean that no calculators will be used.

I've planned my route, even though it is near Warren Street tube station, I know the timings, I guess the candidates will have done the same. I am sure we'll get there in good time.

All candidates might also like to consider the following tips:

Before the event:

Re-read your original application form or CV.
Remind yourself of the key attributes this employer is seeking.
Keep informed of current issues relevant to the job or organisation by reading appropriate newspapers and periodicals.
Ensure you know what the format is to be - ask if necessary.
Practise aptitude tests.

At the Assessment Centre:

Do not act – be yourself.
Do not try to second-guess the competences you are being assessed on.
Follow instructions - each task will have clear instructions and objectives. Make sure that you completely identify each task and sub-task that is required and that you accomplish all of them. If there is anything you do not understand or are not sure of, ask the Centre Manager for clarification.
Get Some Rest – try to get as much rest before the day as possible as it is likely to be quite intensive and tiring
Show your enthusiasm
Assume you are being assessed at all times
Take the opportunity to talk to senior staff and graduate trainees
Ask questions, join in discussions - don't sit in a corner on your own
Don't hog the conversation - show interest in the other candidates
Do not eat or drink too much
Listen carefully to instructions and ask if you are not clear about what you have to do.
Make sure you are aware of the time constraints in any exercise and produce what was asked for in that time.
Don't panic if you feel you have made a mess of an exercise - it is your overall performance they are interested in. Nobody is perfect.

After the Assessment Centre:

As soon as possible make some notes about the experience - how did you perform, what could you do better or differently at another time? If you are not offered the job it is perfectly in order to ask for feedback.

Good luck to you all.

Any questions please contact me : lynn@assessment4potential.com

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Reflections and articles from Assessment4Potential - for people at career crossroads including resources relating to career management, CVs, job search, selection and recruitment.

Powered by Blogger

Business Networking events in your area

Search by postcode :

ARCHIVES
May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / October 2005 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / January 2007 / May 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / March 2008 / August 2008 / December 2008 / August 2009 / September 2009 / March 2010 /

    follow me on Twitter